Recipe taken from Slow Cooking Curry & Spice Dishes by Carolyn Humphries and feeds 4...
Chicken and red lentil curry with tomatoes
- 2 large potatoes, cut into walnut size chunks
- 4-6 skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 175g/1 cup red lentils
- 15ml/1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 fat green chilli, chopped (and seeded if preferred)
- 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves (i used 2 whole cloves)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 750ml/3 cups boiling chicken stock
- 30ml/2 tbsp malt vinegar
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp demerara sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped gresh corainder
- Rice and/or naan bread to serve
Put the potatoes, chicken and lentils in the slowcooker/crock pot and stir well to mix together.
Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic and fry, stirring, for a minute. Stir in the chilli and dried spices and cook, stirring, for a further minute.
Add all the remaining ingredients* except the coriander, seasoning well. Bring back to the boil and pour into the pot with the chicken and lentil mixture. Stir, cover with lid and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours until everything is tender.
Check for seasoning. The sauce should be thick but not stodgy, so thin it if necessary with a little boiling water. Serve garnished with the coriander with rice and naan
* I reserved some of the tomatoes which i added to the pot 10 minutes before the end.