I recently made a delicious rhubarb and blueberry compote from Nigel Slater's website and thought I would try this fruit combination again in a crumble. The crumble topping I've been using recently is from Tessa Kiros's Apples for Jam as it's so quick and easy. I'm not sure I'll ever make a crumble as good as my Mum's but this was pretty good for a Monday night!
100g rhubarb sliced
A sprinkling of caster sugar
35g caster sugar
100g plain flour
25g soft brown sugar
75g butter, softened (strange but true)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 190 C or gas mark5.
- Place the fruit in a small oven proof dish and sprinkle over the caster sugar.
- Mix together the caster sugar, flour and brown sugar in a bowl.
- Add the cubed butter and vanilla extract and rub with your fingertips until the mixture looks like "damp, clustery sand" (I love Tessa's descriptions).
- Sprinkle topping over the fruit and bake in the pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown on top and the fruit is starting to bubble around the edges.
Nigel Slater's Rhubarb & Blueberry Compote