Wednesday 25 March 2009

banana smoothie

Most mornings, I start the day with a smoothie. I get up and leave home at early o'clock but have to have something to eat/drink or i end up feeling sick on the train to work. I then have a second proper breakfast at my desk, which keeps me going until lunchtime (ok then, elevensies!).

I was given a Hamilton Beach Classic Blender over 15 years ago (which has just made me think what i actually did just over 15 years ago... but that's a whole other story which i will have to come back to at some point) and it's still going strong. I know a recipe for a smoothie might seem a little simple, but this one from Breakfast Lunch Tea is my new favourite.

So here it is, and it's a lot quicker than making granola (especially for you miss baglady).


Classic Banana Smoothie - Serves 1
1 banana
1 tsp honey
2 tbsp apple juice
125ml natural yoghurt or soya milk (i use half and half)
Put all the ingredients in a food processor/blender and liquidize until smooth and frothy (does anyone remember Cresta? I can't say the word frothy without thinking about the large white polar bear wearing sunglasses)
Variations:
*Add a handful of strawberries in season
*Replace the apple juice with lime juice, the honey with 1tbsp sugar and add a handful of desiccated coconut (i would have to add a shot of rum with this one to make a delicious tropical breakfast cocktail, mmm...)
*Replace the banana with chunks of ripe mango and add a dash of lime juice to the apple juice
*Use any poached fruit and some of its liquid, especially apricots, and you won't need the apple juice

4 comments:

  1. O how I miss bananas. I developed an allergy to them a few years ago, boo-hoo. Now I make smoothies with yogurt & strawberries instead. Good, but not as good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're making me want to buy a blender. I love smoothies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love smoothies! Never seem to have the time to make them though. Good to see you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, this is sounding very good at this time of day. I love smoothies, but have never really made them. Going to have to buy a new blender and start, now that I read this. I

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, and I am thrilled that you are now following me.:)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete